Current:Home > reviewsArkansas sues YouTube over claims that the site is fueling a mental health crisis -Ascend Finance Compass
Arkansas sues YouTube over claims that the site is fueling a mental health crisis
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 11:21:27
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas sued YouTube and parent company Alphabet on Monday, saying the video-sharing platform is made deliberately addictive and fueling a mental health crisis among youth in the state.
Attorney General Tim Griffin’s office filed the lawsuit in state court, accusing them of violating the state’s deceptive trade practices and public nuisance laws. The lawsuit claims the site is addictive and has resulted in the state spending millions on expanded mental health and other services for young people.
“YouTube amplifies harmful material, doses users with dopamine hits, and drives youth engagement and advertising revenue,” the lawsuit said. “As a result, youth mental health problems have advanced in lockstep with the growth of social media, and in particular, YouTube.”
Alphabet’s Google, which owns the video service and is also named as a defendant in the case, denied the lawsuit’s claims.
“Providing young people with a safer, healthier experience has always been core to our work. In collaboration with youth, mental health and parenting experts, we built services and policies to provide young people with age-appropriate experiences, and parents with robust controls,” Google spokesperson Jose Castaneda said in a statement. “The allegations in this complaint are simply not true.”
YouTube requires users under 17 to get their parent’s permission before using the site, while accounts for users younger than 13 must be linked to a parental account. But it is possible to watch YouTube without an account, and kids can easily lie about their age.
The lawsuit is the latest in an ongoing push by state and federal lawmakers to highlight the impact that social media sites have on younger users. U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy in June called on Congress to require warning labels on social media platforms about their effects on young people’s lives, similar to those now mandatory on cigarette boxes.
Arkansas last year filed similar lawsuits against TikTok and Facebook parent company Meta, claiming the social media companies were misleading consumers about the safety of children on their platforms and protections of users’ private data. Those lawsuits are still pending in state court.
Arkansas also enacted a law requiring parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts, though that measure has been blocked by a federal judge.
Along with TikTok, YouTube is one of the most popular sites for children and teens. Both sites have been questioned in the past for hosting, and in some cases promoting, videos that encourage gun violence, eating disorders and self-harm.
YouTube in June changed its policies about firearm videos, prohibiting any videos demonstrating how to remove firearm safety devices. Under the new policies, videos showing homemade guns, automatic weapons and certain firearm accessories like silencers will be restricted to users 18 and older.
Arkansas’ lawsuit claims that YouTube’s algorithms steer youth to harmful adult content, and that it facilitates the spread of child sexual abuse material.
The lawsuit doesn’t seek specific damages, but asks that YouTube be ordered to fund prevention, education and treatment for “excessive and problematic use of social media.”
veryGood! (341)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Beyoncé resurges on Billboard charts as 'Cowboy Carter' re-enters Top 10 on 5 charts
- Video shows Coast Guard rescue blind hiker, guide dog stranded for days on Oregon trail
- RHOA Alum NeNe Leakes Addresses Kenya Moore's Controversial Exit
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Euphoria Season 3 Finally Has a Start Date
- California fire officials report first wildfire death of the 2024 season
- Blind woman says Uber driver left her stranded at wrong location in North Carolina
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- AT&T says hackers accessed records of calls and texts for nearly all its cellular customers
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Hospitality workers fired after death of man outside Milwaukee Hyatt
- Progressives look to Supreme Court to motivate voters in 2024 race
- Heavy rains leave at least 200 crocodiles crawling around cities in Mexico near Texas, increasing risk for the population
- Small twin
- Tobey Maguire, 49, spotted with model Lily Chee, 20: We need to talk about age gaps
- What’s next for Alec Baldwin after involuntary manslaughter case dismissal
- Historically Black Cancer Alley town splits over a planned grain terminal in Louisiana
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Smoking laptop in passenger’s bag prompts evacuation on American Airlines flight in San Francisco
Following Cancer Alley Decision, States Pit Themselves Against Environmental Justice Efforts
Tour helicopter crash off Hawaiian island leaves 1 dead and 2 missing
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Potentially dozens of Democrats expected to call on Biden to step aside after NATO conference
Gypsy Rose Blanchard timeline: From her prison release to recent pregnancy announcement
First victim of 1921 Tulsa massacre of Black community is identified since graves found, mayor says