Current:Home > StocksMcDonald's is getting rid of self-serve drinks and some locations may charge for refills -Ascend Finance Compass
McDonald's is getting rid of self-serve drinks and some locations may charge for refills
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 12:38:54
McDonald's is transitioning away from self-serve beverage stations and some locations may start to charge for refills that were once free.
The fast food giant will slowly remove self-serve beverage stations – fountain drink dispensers – and be completely rid of the stations by 2032.
The change, a representative for McDonald's told CBS News via email, is intended to make customer experiences consistent no matter where you order – on the app, in the drive-thru, in the restaurant or other methods.
Without the drink dispensers, in-restaurant customers can't pour themselves their own drinks – and individual franchises have the power to decide if they will charge for refills, the McDonald's rep said.
Darren Tristano, CEO of Foodservice Results, which conducts research on the food service industry, said he thinks other fast food chains will follow McDonald's lead. "McDonald's is a leader and most other fast food chains are fast followers," he told CBS News via email.
Some social media users have shared photos of the barren countertops at their local McDonald's where the self-serve drink station once sat. Others expressed outrage over the change, with a Reddit thread on the matter racking up nearly 350 comments. "Seriously, this is such a bad idea. This is a huge reason I would choose McDonalds over another option. Shooting themselves in the foot with this one," one person wrote.
"This is the last straw," another quipped.
One person said in the Netherlands, they never had free refills at McDonald's – and other people from Europe agreed.
Others pointed out that's up to individual franchises to decide – so some locations might not charge for refills.
In 2023, McDonald's reported global comparative sales increased 9% for the year and had grown more than 30% since 2019.
Still, the company announced earlier this year that foot traffic to its restaurants had slowed as inflation increased. Many fast food chains have boosted prices in recent months, but to try and lure people back into its stores, McDonald's introduced last week a $5 meal promo.
CBS has reached out to McDonald's for more information on how many franchises are expected to charge for refills. The majority of McDonald's 14,300 restaurants are franchises. The company employs a whopping 2 million people at the restaurants and another 150,000 employees at its corporate offices.
Caitlin O'KaneCaitlin O'Kane is a New York City journalist who works on the CBS News social media team as a senior manager of content and production. She writes about a variety of topics and produces "The Uplift," CBS News' streaming show that focuses on good news.
veryGood! (77386)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Horoscopes Today, June 30, 2024
- See Travis Kelce Celebrate Taylor Swift Backstage at the Eras Tour in Dublin
- Man critically injured after shark attack in northeast Florida
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Former Raiders coach Jon Gruden loses bid for state high court reconsideration in NFL emails lawsuit
- Over 300 earthquakes detected in Hawaii; Kilauea volcano not yet erupting
- Can you get the flu in the summer? Your guide to warm weather illnesses
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- The Bears are letting Simone Biles' husband skip some training camp to go to Olympics
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on July 4th? Here's what to know
- Mets OF Brandon Nimmo sits out against Nationals after fainting in hotel room and cutting forehead
- What to know about the plea deal offered Boeing in connection with 2 plane crashes
- Small twin
- No. 3 seed Aryna Sabalenka withdraws from Wimbledon with shoulder injury
- Defense witnesses in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial begin testimony
- Redbox owner Chicken Soup for the Soul files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Lionel Messi highlights 2024 MLS All-Star Game roster. Here's everything you need to know
Utah fire captain dies in whitewater rafting accident at Dinosaur National Monument
Appeals court allows part of Biden student loan repayment plan to go forward
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Connie the container dog dies months after Texas rescue: 'She was such a fighter'
Hurricane Beryl takes aim at southeastern Caribbean as a powerful Category 3 storm
Family fights for justice and a new law after murder of UFC star's stepdaughter