Current:Home > InvestAt least 50 people are kidnapped over two days in northern Cameroon by unknown gunmen -Ascend Finance Compass
At least 50 people are kidnapped over two days in northern Cameroon by unknown gunmen
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:53:49
YAOUNDE, Cameroon (AP) — At least 50 people were kidnapped in two separate incidents over two days in northern Cameroon, local authorities said Tuesday.
The kidnappings occurred Sunday and Monday afternoons by an unknown armed group near the border with Chad, the mayor of Touboro town, Celestin Yandal, told The Associated Press.
Seven people have been released so far. Abductions in this area happen often, but locals say the scale of these attacks is rare.
The first kidnapping took place between Touboro and Koutere towns, where mostly Chadians were taken as well as some people from Cameroon including students and shopkeepers, the mayor said.
The second abduction occurred while people were traveling on a bus from Ngaoundere city to Touboro, he said.
Cameroon has been plagued by fighting since English-speaking separatists launched a rebellion in the Central African nation in 2017 with the stated goal of breaking away from the area dominated by the French-speaking majority and setting up an independent, English-speaking state.
The government has accused the separatists of committing atrocities against civilians. The conflict has killed more than 3,300 people and displaced more than 750,000 others, according to the United Nations.
The country also faces a threat from Islamic extremists in the region.
veryGood! (58716)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- The next political powder keg? Feds reveal plan for security at DNC in Chicago
- 2024 Paris Olympics: You'll Want to Stand and Cheer for These Candid Photos
- Harvey Weinstein hospitalized with COVID-19 and pneumonia
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Two former FBI officials settle lawsuits with Justice Department over leaked text messages
- Deadpool & Wolverine Seemingly Pokes Fun at Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck's Divorce
- Dressage faces make-or-break moment after video shows Olympian abusing horse
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Kamala Harris, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Aniston and when we reduce women to 'childless cat ladies'
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- What Team USA medal milestones to watch for at Paris Olympics
- Alabama prison chief responds to families’ criticism
- A 15-year-old sentenced to state facility for youths for role in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Park Fire swells to over 164,000 acres; thousands of residents under evacuation orders
- 270 flights canceled in Frankfurt as environmental activists target airports across Europe
- Rescued walrus calf ‘sassy’ and alert after seemingly being left by her herd in Alaska
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Arkansas standoff ends with suspect dead after exchange of gunfire with law enforcement
Olivia Culpo responds to wedding dress drama for first time: 'I wanted to feel like myself'
'Deadpool & Wolverine': What to know before you see the Marvel sequel
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Sonya Massey 'needed a helping hand, not a bullet to the face,' attorney says
At least 8 large Oklahoma school districts rebuke superintendent's order to teach Bible
Prince Harry 'won't bring my wife back' to the UK over safety concerns due to tabloids