Current:Home > MySuspected drug-related shootings leave 2 dead, 1 injured in Vermont’s largest city -Ascend Finance Compass
Suspected drug-related shootings leave 2 dead, 1 injured in Vermont’s largest city
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:28:03
Two men were shot and killed Sunday night and a third was seriously injured early Monday in two separate, suspected drug-related shootings in Vermont’s largest city of Burlington, officials said.
The shootings happened on a busy night for police that first included a report of gunfire downtown and later an early morning arson fire in the vestibule of the police station, the chief and mayor said at a press briefing on Monday.
At the same time, Vermont State Police are investigating a spate of homicides around Vermont in recent months, many of which they suspect are drug-related.
“That these shootings, the killing of two people and the serious injuring of another appear to be not connected but both drug-related is a further indication that the nature of our drug crisis in Vermont has fundamentally changed and must become the state’s top public safety and public health priority,” Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger said.
In September, the Burlington City Council passed a resolution declaring the drug crisis its top public health and safety priority.
Burlington Police received calls at 9:13 p.m. Sunday about gunfire at an apartment on Decatur Street. When they arrived, they found two men shot in the head. One was dead and the other one died at the hospital, police said. Police identified the victims as Anthony Smith, 26, of Vergennes, and Khalif Jones, 27, of Stowe. Police believe Jones shot Smith and then suspect that he was shot by a third person, who has not been identified. Evidence of drug trafficking was found at the residence, said Police Chief Jon Murad.
Hours later, dispatchers received a call at 1:15 a.m. Monday from a man who said he had been shot in the foot as he was robbed of drugs by a group of people. Police do not believe that the shooting was connected to the double slaying on Sunday night, Murad said.
Then at 2 a.m., a man started a fire in the vestibule of the Burlington Police Department building, police said. The 62-year-old suspect, who is believed to be experiencing homelessness and has had many interactions with police, was arrested Monday morning, Murad said. Because of the smoke, the dispatch center had to be temporarily moved to South Burlington.
___
Rathke reported from Marshfield, Vt.
veryGood! (48)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Adam Sandler's Sweet Bond With Daughters Sadie and Sunny Is Better Than Shampoo and Conditioner
- Country singer Zach Bryan says he was arrested and briefly held in jail: I was an idiot
- Philips Respironics agrees to $479 million CPAP settlement
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- NATO member Romania finds new drone fragments on its territory from war in neighboring Ukraine
- What's at stake for Texas when it travels to Alabama in Week 2 of college football
- Situation Room in White House gets $50 million gut renovation. Here's how it turned out.
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Some millennials ditch dating app culture in favor of returning to 'IRL' connections
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau's Daughter Is Pregnant With First Baby
- 'Brought to tears': Coco Gauff describes the moments after her US Open win
- A Minnesota meat processing plant that is accused of hiring minors agrees to pay $300K in penalties
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- The Golden Bachelor: Everything You Need to Know
- How to make yourself cry: An acting coach's secrets for on command emotion
- Stellantis offers 14.5% pay increase to UAW workers in latest contract negotiation talks
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Authorities search for grizzly bear that mauled a Montana hunter
Presidents Obama, Clinton and many others congratulate Coco Gauff on her US Open tennis title
Presidents Obama, Clinton and many others congratulate Coco Gauff on her US Open tennis title
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Biden, Modi and EU to announce rail and shipping project linking India to Middle East and Europe
Residents and authorities in Somalia say airstrike caused several casualties including children
Situation Room in White House gets $50 million gut renovation. Here's how it turned out.