Current:Home > NewsEx-Proud Boys organizer gets 17 years in prison, second longest sentence in Jan. 6 Capitol riot case -Ascend Finance Compass
Ex-Proud Boys organizer gets 17 years in prison, second longest sentence in Jan. 6 Capitol riot case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 11:41:07
WASHINGTON (AP) — A former organizer of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group was sentenced on Thursday to 17 years in prison for spearheading an attack on the U.S. Capitol to prevent the peaceful transfer of power from Donald Trump to Joe Biden after the 2020 presidential election.
The sentence for Joseph Biggs is the second longest among hundreds of Capitol riot cases so far, after the 18-year prison sentence for Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes.
Federal prosecutors had recommended a 33-year prison sentence for Biggs, who helped lead dozens of Proud Boys members and associates in marching to the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Biggs and other Proud Boys joined the mob that broke through police lines and forced lawmakers to flee, disrupting the joint session of Congress for certifying the electoral victory by Biden, a Democrat.
U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly said the Jan. 6 attack trampled on an “important American custom,” certifying the Electoral College vote.
“That day broke our tradition of peacefully transferring power, which is among the most precious things that we had as Americans,” the judge said, emphasizing that he was using the past tense in light of how Jan. 6 affected the process.
Biggs acknowledged to the judge that he “messed up that day,” but he blamed being “seduced by the crowd” of Trump supporters outside the Capitol and said he’s not a violent person or “a terrorist.”
“My curiosity got the better of me, and I’ll have to live with that for the rest of my life,” he said, claiming he didn’t have “hate in my heart” and didn’t want to hurt people.
Prosecutors, though, defended their decision to seek 33 years behind bars for Biggs, saying it was justified because he and his fellow Proud Boys committed “among the most serious crimes that this court will consider,” pushing the U.S. government “to the edge of a constitutional crisis.”
“There is a reason why we will hold our collective breath as we approach future elections,” prosecutor Jason McCullough said. “We never gave it a second thought before January 6th.”
The judge who sentenced Biggs also will separately sentence four other Proud Boys who were convicted by a jury in May after a four-month trial in Washington, D.C., that laid bare far-right extremists’ embrace of lies by Trump, a Republican, that the 2020 election was stolen from him.
Enrique Tarrio, a Miami resident who was the Proud Boys’ national chairman and top leader, is scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday. His sentencing was moved from Wednesday to next week because the judge was sick.
Tarrio wasn’t in Washington on Jan. 6. He had been arrested two days before the Capitol riot on charges that he defaced a Black Lives Matter banner during an earlier rally in the nation’s capital, and he complied with a judge’s order to leave the city after his arrest. He picked Biggs and Proud Boys chapter president Ethan Nordean to be the group’s leaders on the ground in his absence, prosecutors said.
Biggs, of Ormond Beach, Florida, was a self-described Proud Boys organizer. He served in the U.S. Army for eight years before getting medically discharged in 2013. Biggs later worked as a correspondent for Infowars, the website operated by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.
Biggs, Tarrio, Nordean and Proud Boys chapter leader Zachary Rehl were convicted of charges including seditious conspiracy, a rarely brought Civil War-era offense. A fifth Proud Boys member, Dominic Pezzola, was acquitted of seditious conspiracy but was convicted of other serious charges.
Prosecutors also recommended prison sentences of 33 years for Tarrio, 30 years for Rehl, 27 years for Nordean and 20 years for Pezzola. The judge is scheduled to sentence Rehl later on Thursday. Pezzola and Nordean are scheduled to be sentenced on Friday.
Defense attorneys argued that the Justice Department was unfairly holding their clients responsible for the violent actions of others in the crowd of Trump supporters at the Capitol.
More than 1,100 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes. Over 600 of them have been convicted and sentenced.
Besides Rhodes, six members of the anti-government Oath Keepers also were convicted of seditious conspiracy after a separate trial last year.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Singapore defense minister calls on China to take the lead in reducing regional tensions
- Marine Corps commandant hospitalized after 'medical emergency,' officials say
- Two hours of terror and now years of devastation for Acapulco’s poor in Hurricane Otis aftermath
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Breast cancer survivor pushes for earlier screening as younger women face rising cases: What if I had waited?
- Police investigating alleged robbery after Colorado players say jewelry taken at Rose Bowl
- A UN report urges Russia to investigate an attack on a Ukrainian village that killed 59 civilians
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner Are a Sugar and Spice Duo in Risqué Halloween Costumes
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Canadian workers reach deal to end strike that shut down Great Lakes shipping artery
- Abuse victims say gun surrender laws save lives. Will the Supreme Court agree?
- Biden’s Cabinet secretaries will push a divided Congress to send aid to Israel and Ukraine
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Ariana Madix Reveals Unexpected Dancing With the Stars Body Transformation
- Chinese factory activity contracts in October as pandemic recovery falters
- Worldwide, women cook twice as much as men: One country bucks the trend
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
We're spending $700 million on pet costumes in the costliest Halloween ever
Cutting-edge AI raises fears about risks to humanity. Are tech and political leaders doing enough?
House GOP unveils $14.3 billion Israel aid bill that would cut funding to IRS
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
India-led alliance set to fund solar projects in Africa in a boost to the energy transition
Google CEO defends paying Apple and others to make Google the default search engine on devices
Vonage customers to get nearly $100 million in refunds over junk fees