Current:Home > ScamsMexican official says military obstructs probe into human rights abuses during country’s ‘dirty war’ -Ascend Finance Compass
Mexican official says military obstructs probe into human rights abuses during country’s ‘dirty war’
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 07:14:22
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Decades after Mexico’s “dirty war,” the military has obstructed a government investigation into human rights abuses, the official heading the probe said Wednesday.
Alejandro Encinas Rodríguez, deputy minister for human rights, said at a news conference that investigators withdrew last month after discovering military officials were hiding, altering and destroying documents.
Encinas said some officials’ actions clearly violated a presidential decree granting investigators unfettered access to records.
“As for people who could be criminally prosecuted, or that we already have in our sights to arrest at some point, it is responsible to say we are investigating. As soon as we have any clear indication and evidence, of course we will proceed,” he said.
The Ministry of National Defense did not respond to an email from The Associated Press asking for comment.
The inquiry was established under the Mexican human rights department’s commission for truth in October 2021 to investigate human rights violations during the “dirty war” against leftist guerillas, dissidents and social movements in the 1970s and ‘80s.
During that time hundreds of people were illegally detained, tortured and disappeared by the military and security forces. Over 2,300 direct and indirect victims are still alive today, the inquiry commission said Wednesday.
David Fernández Dávalos, a member of the commission’s subgroup for historical clarification, said the Ministry of National Defense “continues this cycle of impunity, opacity and injustice” by moving, altering or destroying documents.
Fernández told reporters that military officials initially withheld documents they claimed were private for reasons of national security, personal privacy, or “preserving relations” with other countries.
Then he said, “Files that we already knew were composed in a certain way were handed over with sheets out of place and notes ripped out.” Military officials also moved boxes of files so the investigators couldn’t find them and in some cases just flatly denied access to documents, he said.
Calling 2023 a “year of listening,” other members of the inquiry spoke of success visiting military posts and conducting hundreds of interviews with victims.
In June the subgroup for disappeared people uncovered the remains of seven people thought to have been killed in 1971 in the southern state of Guerrero. They have since begun analyzing ocean currents and flight paths to find where corpses dumped in the Pacific by the military’s “planes of death” might be found today.
veryGood! (727)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Republicans pressure Hunter Biden to testify next week as House prepares to vote on formalizing impeachment inquiry against Joe Biden
- Pakistan zoo shut down after man mauled to death by tigers, shoe found in animal's mouth
- Joe Manganiello and Caitlin O'Connor Make Red Carpet Debut as a Couple
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Over 300 Rohingya Muslims fleeing Myanmar arrive in Indonesia’s Aceh region after weeks at sea
- Norman Lear's son-in-law, Dr. Jon LaPook, reflects on the legendary TV producer's final moments: He was one of my best friends
- Captive in a chicken coop: The plight of debt bondage workers
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Agriculture gets its day at COP28, but experts see big barriers to cutting emissions
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Where to watch 'The Polar Express': Streaming info, TV channel showtimes, cast
- At COP28, sticking points remain on fossil fuels and adapting to climate as talks near crunch time
- The State Department approves the sale of tank ammunition to Israel in a deal that bypasses Congress
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Red Wings captain Dylan Larkin lies motionless on ice after hit from behind
- American skier Breezy Johnson says she won’t race during anti-doping rules investigation
- Teen gunman sentenced to life for Oxford High School massacre in Michigan
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Technology built the cashless society. Advances are helping the unhoused so they’re not left behind
Opinion: Norman Lear shocked, thrilled, and stirred television viewers
Arkansas will add more state prison beds despite officials’ fears about understaffing
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Krys Marshall Reveals This Episode of For All Mankind Was the Hardest Yet
The Dodgers gave Shohei Ohtani $700 million to hit and pitch — but also because he can sell
Philippines says Chinese coast guard assaulted its vessels with water cannons for a second day