Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Kenyan Facebook moderators accuse Meta of not negotiating sincerely -Ascend Finance Compass
Rekubit-Kenyan Facebook moderators accuse Meta of not negotiating sincerely
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:41:04
NAIROBI,Rekubit Kenya (AP) — The lawyer representing 184 former Facebook content moderators based in Kenya who sued the site’s parent company, Meta, over working conditions and pay told the judge Monday that Meta has not been sincere in trying to reach an out-of-court settlement as agreed in the last court session.
Lawyer Mercy Mutemi said the talks had collapsed and the former moderators want to proceed with a contempt of court case against Meta.
“The petitioners gave it their best effort. They attended every mediation. The respondents asked for information which we gave them. They kept saying they would get back to us by a certain date but only got back to us at the end of last week with a very small amount that cannot even take care of the petitioners’ mental health,” she told the court. She described Meta as “not genuine.”
The moderators were employed via Sama, a San Francisco subcontractor that describes itself as an ethical AI company, to work in its hub in the capital, Nairobi. Their job entailed screening user content in 12 African languages and removing any uploads deemed to breach Facebook’s community standards and terms of service.
Some of the petitioners have told The Associated Press that their job required them to watch horrific content for eight hours a day that overwhelmed many of them while being paid 60,000 Kenyan shillings, or $414 a month. They accused Sama of doing little to ensure post-traumatic professional counseling was offered. They are seeking $1.6 billion in compensation.
Meta and Sama lawyers told the court they thought the mediation was making good progress, with long hours involved, until the moderators’ lawyer wrote to them in protest.
Justice Nduma Nderi said the failed talks were a “missed opportunity” to find a balance between the parties involved as opposed to the court issuing an order.
The parties will now appear at a hearing on Oct. 31 on the moderators’ application to find Meta and Sama in contempt of court.
The lawsuit is the first known court challenge of its kind against Facebook outside the United States. In 2020, Facebook agreed to pay $52 million to U.S. content moderators who filed a class action lawsuit after they were repeatedly exposed to beheadings, child and sexual abuse, animal cruelty, terrorism and other disturbing content.
Facebook and Sama have defended their employment practices.
veryGood! (586)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Fireworks on New Year's Eve send birds into a 'panicked state,' scientists discover
- Updating the 'message in a bottle' to aliens: Do we need a new Golden Record?
- Turkish lawmaker who collapsed in parliament after delivering speech, dies
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Changes to Georgia school accountability could mean no more A-to-F grades for schools and districts
- Experts at odds over result of UN climate talks in Dubai; ‘Historic,’ ‘pipsqueak’ or something else?
- 2023 was a great year for moviegoing — here are 10 of Justin Chang's favorites
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Finland, NATO’s newest member, will sign a defense pact with the United States
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- How the deep friendship between an Amazon chief and Belgian filmmaker devolved into accusations
- How are Houthi attacks on ships in the Red Sea affecting global trade?
- Illinois State apologizes to Norfolk State after fan shouts racial slur during game
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- An investigation opens into the death of a French actress who accused Depardieu of sexual misconduct
- Big pharmacies could give your prescription info to cops without a warrant, Congress finds
- In 'The Boy and the Heron,' Hayao Miyazaki looks back
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Paris prosecutors investigating death of actress who accused Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct
The 'physics' behind potential interest rate cuts
Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly higher after the Dow hits a record high, US dollar falls
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Father of July 4th Illinois parade shooting suspect released early from jail for good behavior
Kyle Richards Reveals How Her Bond With Morgan Wade Is Different Than Her Other Friendships
Rights expert blasts Italy’s handling of gender-based violence and discrimination against women