Current:Home > MySurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin -Ascend Finance Compass
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 10:59:39
Washington — A top trade adviser during the Trump administration is Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerset to stand trial this week for two counts of criminal contempt of Congress after prosecutors alleged he willfully and illegally refused to respond to subpoenas for documents and testimony from the now-defunct House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack.
Jury selection in Peter Navarro's criminal trial is set to begin Tuesday when a federal judge has said he intends to clear at least 50 potential jurors from a group of Washington, D.C. residents to fill just over a dozen seats on the final jury panel.
Despite years of legal wrangling and briefing schedules between prosecutors and defense attorneys, Navarro's trial is only set to last days as prosecutors successfully argued that he should be barred from employing certain explanations that he said were crucial to his defense.
The Jan. 6 committee initially subpoenaed Navarro in Feb. 2022 for records and testimony as part of its investigation into efforts to reverse the outcome of the 2020 presidential election. After he refused to comply with the requests, Congress voted to refer the matter to the Justice Department. Navarro was then indicted on two counts of criminal contempt of Congress. He pleaded not guilty.
Congressional investigators at the time were interested in efforts by Navarro and others to postpone the Electoral College certification of the 2020 presidential election, a plan they allegedly referred to as the "Green Bay Sweep."
Navarro's defense team, which includes a former Trump criminal defense attorney and three lawyers currently involved in the special counsel's classified documents probe, argued their client should be permitted to tell the jury that the former president told him to invoke executive privilege protections against the subpoena. But prosecutors argued — and Judge Amit Mehta ultimately agreed — that there was no evidence that former President Donald Trump formally worked to shield Navarro from the committee. Navarro is consequently not permitted to present the privilege as evidence at trial.
"It was clear during that call that privilege was invoked, very clear," Navarro told the judge at a hearing last week, describing a 2022 call he said he and Trump had about the committee's subpoena. The defense, however, was unable to provide any documented evidence that the privilege was officially invoked, a defect that Navarro's legal team acknowledged.
Navarro has indicated the issue will be the subject of future appeals and litigation, telling reporters last week he should not have been compelled to testify at all because he was a senior White House adviser.
Tuesday's proceedings mark the beginning of the Justice Department's second criminal trial tied to the expired select committee. Last year, Trump adviser and former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon was found guilty of two counts of criminal contempt of Congress. He was sentenced to four months in jail, but he is currently out of prison as his defense team appeals the conviction based on a legal dispute of their own.
The committee referred to other Trump aides — Mark Meadows and Dan Scavino — to the Justice Department for contempt charges, but the government ultimately declined to prosecute them.
Navarro has consistently spoken out against his prosecution and unsuccessfully petitioned Mehta to dismiss the charges against him.
If convicted, he faces a maximum of a year in prison and a $100,000 fine for each count.
- In:
- Donald Trump
veryGood! (44356)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- South Carolina sets date for first execution in more than 13 years
- Ronda Rousey's apology for sharing Sandy Hook conspiracy overdue but still timely
- Anesthesiologist with ‘chloroform fetish’ admits to drugging, sexually abusing family’s nanny
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Vermont medical marijuana user fired after drug test loses appeal over unemployment benefits
- Union rep says West Virginia governor late on paying worker health insurance bills, despite denials
- What's the value of a pet prenup agreement? This married couple has thoughts
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Expert defends security guards in death of man at Detroit-area mall a decade ago
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Prosecutor says ex-sheriff’s deputy charged with manslaughter in shooting of an airman at his home
- Amazon announces upcoming discount event, Prime Big Deal Days in October: What to know
- Isabella Strahan Poses in Bikini While Celebrating Simple Pleasures After Cancer Battle
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Union rep says West Virginia governor late on paying worker health insurance bills, despite denials
- Death of Connecticut man found in river may be related to flooding that killed 2 others, police say
- Watch: Young fan beams after getting Jose Altuve's home run bat
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Judge Mathis' wife Linda files for divorce from reality TV judge after 39 years together
Why Taylor Swift Is “Blown Away” by Pals Zoë Kravitz and Sabrina Carpenter
Son of Texas woman who died in June says apartment complex drops effort to collect for broken lease
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Murderer's Ex-Wife Breaks Cold Case Wide Open After 35 Years in Girl on the Milk Carton Preview
Under sea and over land, the Paris Paralympics flame is beginning an exceptional journey
US Border Patrol agent told women to show him their breasts to get into country: Feds