Current:Home > MyTexas judge orders Uvalde school district, sheriff's office to release shooting records -Ascend Finance Compass
Texas judge orders Uvalde school district, sheriff's office to release shooting records
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:14:37
AUSTIN, Texas — A Texas judge ruled that the school district and sheriff's office in Uvalade must release records within the next 20 days detailing the mishandled law enforcement response to the 2022 deadly mass shooting at Robb Elementary School.
Laura Prather, the media litigation chair for Haynes Boone who is representing the media outlets, announced the ruling from the 38th Judicial District Court of Uvalde County on Monday. Prather said that the school district and sheriff's office must release "all responsive documents" to the news agencies — "a pivotal step towards ensuring transparency and accountability.”
A consortium of media outlets including the Austin American-Statesman, part of the USA TODAY Network, filed a lawsuit in 2022 after officials in Uvalde repeatedly refused to publicly release records related to the shooting. The news agencies are seeking records detailing Texas' deadliest school shooting, including police body camera footage, emails, 911 calls, and additional communications tied to the mass casualty and its investigation.
An 18-year-old gunman killed 19 children and two teachers after entering Robb Elementary on May 24, 2022. Law enforcement response to the shooting has been sharply criticized after responding officers waited 77 minutes before confronting the shooter.
"The public deserves to know the full details of the response to this tragic event, and the information could be critical in preventing future tragedies," Prather said in a statement.
Uvalde County Sheriff Ruben Nolasco declined to comment on Monday's ruling. The Uvalde school district did not respond to American-Statesman's requests for comment.
'Let down so many times':Families of Uvalde school shooting victims announce $2M settlement, lawsuit against Texas DPS
Decision follows a similar 2023 ruling
Last year, a judge made a similar ruling in favor of 14 news organizations, including the American-Statesman’s parent company, Gannett, requiring the Texas Department of Public Safety to release its Uvalde school shooting records, which the outlets were seeking.
In addition to Gannett, the other media outlets listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit included the Texas Tribune, the New York Times Company, the Washington Post, NBC News, ABC News, CBS News, and CNN.
Despite the ruling in the news organizations’ favor in March, the Department of Public Safety has not released the records, citing objections from Uvalde County District Attorney Christina Mitchell.
In a news brief Monday, attorneys representing the shooting victims' families seeking those records referenced an ongoing appeal by the Department of Public Safety to delay the release of "more than two terabytes of data related to the investigation."
Texas law enforcement criticized for delayed response to shooting
The Texas Department of Public Safety has faced intense scrutiny after video footage revealed that the agency's officers, and all other law enforcement agencies that responded to the massacre, waited more than an hour before confronting and killing the shooter. The gunman had remained inside two classrooms where terrified children who survived the shooting had called 911 pleading for help.
Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Justice released a scathing report detailing law enforcement's "significant failure" in the shooting. The report described a chaotic, unorganized scene in which there was no command and control by officers.
It also blamed the school's police chief for attempting to negotiate with the gunman, who had already shot his way into the classroom, while having his officers search for keys to unlock the rooms. The report also noted that officials provided misleading and inaccurate information following the incident.
In May, days before the second anniversary of the massacre, the victims' families filed a lawsuit against the Department of Public Safety and 92 troopers who responded to the mass shooting, calling the response a dereliction of duty for not employing proper active shooter response training techniques.
The lawsuit states that while the officers had received active shooter training, those tactics and practices were not followed in their response to the mass casualty.
In presenting the lawsuit, the Uvalde families also announced that a $2 million settlement agreement had been reached with the city, which includes provisions on better training for police officers.
Contributing: Niki Griswold, John C. Moritz, Tony Plohetski and Bayliss Wagner, Austin American-Statesman; Thao Nguyen, USA TODAY
veryGood! (59952)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Van Zweden earned $1.5M as New York Philharmonic music director in 2022-23
- 2 students and 2 teachers were killed at a Georgia high school. Here’s what we know about them
- Joaquin Phoenix on 'complicated' weight loss for 'Joker' sequel: 'I probably shouldn't do this again'
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Hoda Kotb Celebrates Her Daughters’ First Day of School With Adorable Video
- Consumer spending data looks solid, but some shoppers continue to struggle
- NASA is looking for social media influencers to document an upcoming launch
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Report: Mountain Valley Pipeline test failure due to manufacturer defect, not corrosion
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- A transgender teen in Massachusetts says other high schoolers beat him at a party
- Queen guitarist Brian May suffered minor stroke, lost 'control' in his arm
- California settles lawsuit with Sacramento suburb over affordable housing project
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Michael Keaton Is Ditching His Stage Name for His Real Name After Almost 50 Years
- Steward CEO says he won’t comply with Senate subpoena on hospital closings
- When do new episodes of 'Power Book II: Ghost' Season 4 come out? Release date, time, cast, where to watch
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
2nd suspect arrested in theft of sword and bullhorn from Rick Pitino’s office
Biden promotes administration’s rural electrification funding in Wisconsin
Lady Gaga and Fiancé Michael Polansky Share Rare Insight Into Their Private World
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Lady Gaga, Joaquin Phoenix bring ‘Joker: Folie à Deux’ to Venice Film Festival
19 adults, 3 teens accused in massive retail-theft ring at Target stores
Nearly 2,000 drug manufacturing plants are overdue for FDA inspections after COVID delays, AP finds