Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday -Ascend Finance Compass
Charles Langston:Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:37:42
Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro will go to trial Tuesday on Charles Langstoncriminal charges that he defied a subpoena for testimony and documents issued in February 2022 by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
The House of Representatives voted in April 2022 to hold Navarro in contempt of Congress. The matter was then referred to the Justice Department, and two months later Navarro was indicted by a grand jury on contempt of Congress charges.
According to the indictment, Navarro faces one count over his refusal to appear for a deposition in front of the committee, and another count for refusing to produce documents.
MORE: Judge says former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege
Navarro has pleaded not guilty to both charges. If convicted on both counts, he could face a maximum of two years in prison and fines up to $200,000, according to the Justice Department.
Last week, Judge Amit Mehta ruled that Navarro cannot argue to a jury that then-President Donald Trump asserted executive privilege to block him from testifying before Congress. Mehta said that Navarro's claim that he spoke to Trump last year at which time "Trump clearly invoked executive privilege" provided no specific evidence that Trump had indeed done so.
"There was no formal invocation of executive privilege by [Trump] after personal consideration nor authorization to Mr. Navarro to invoke privilege on his behalf," Mehta said.
After the pre-trial hearing, Navarro doubled down on his claim that Trump formally granted him executive privilege.
"It's been the case where people like me, senior advisers, the president ... cannot be compelled to testify," Navarro said to reporters last week. "There is not a single White House adviser who hasn't asserted executive privilege."
Navarro, who was the director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy in the Trump White House, wrote a series of reports in the weeks following the 2020 presidential election claiming that the election was stolen from Trump.
He was also in contact with Trump ally Steve Bannon about an effort to delay Congress' certification of the election and overturn the results, a plan Navarro dubbed the "Green Bay Sweep" in his book, "In Trump Time," the Jan. 6 committee wrote in its report.
Bannon also defied a House select committee subpoena and was subsequently convicted on two counts of contempt of Congress last year.
veryGood! (772)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Olympic host country France sees less New Year’s Eve disorder as it celebrates 2024’s arrival
- Japan issues tsunami warnings after aseries of very strong earthquakes in the Sea of Japan
- Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day?
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Knicks getting OG Anunoby in trade with Raptors for RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley
- NFL playoff format: How many teams make it, how many rounds are there and more
- Actor Tom Wilkinson, known for 'The Full Monty,' dies at 75
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Pope recalls Benedict XVI’s love and wisdom on anniversary of death, as secretary reflects on legacy
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- NFL playoff format: How many teams make it, how many rounds are there and more
- At the stroke of midnight, the New Year gives a clean slate for long-elusive resolutions
- Watch this family reunite with their service dog who went missing right before Christmas
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Paula Abdul sues Nigel Lythgoe, alleges he sexually assaulted her during 'Idol,' 'SYTYCD'
- New Year’s Rockin’ Eve 2024 lineup, performers and streaming info for ABC's annual party
- Michigan woman waits 3 days to tell husband about big lottery win: 'I was trying to process'
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Kirk Cousins leads 'Skol' chant before Minnesota Vikings' game vs. Green Bay Packers
Israel is pulling thousands of troops from Gaza as combat focuses on enclave’s main southern city
Tyler, dog who comforted kids amid pandemic, is retiring. Those are big paws to fill
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Your New Year's Eve TV Guide 2024: How to Watch 'Rockin Eve,' 'Nashville's Big Bash,' more
Will Social Security benefits shrink in 10 years?
Will Social Security benefits shrink in 10 years?