Current:Home > StocksRory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career' -Ascend Finance Compass
Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career'
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:00:39
Rory McIlroy maintains he's sticking with the PGA Tour following a report that LIV Golf offered him $850 million and an ownership stake to join the league.
"I honestly don't know how these things get started. I've never been offered a number from LIV and I've never contemplated going to LIV," McIlroy told Golf Channel.
"I think I've made it clear over the past two years that I don't think it's something for me. Doesn't mean that I judge people that have went and played over there — I think one of the things that I've realized over the past two years is people can make their own decisions for whatever they think is best for themselves and who are we to judge them for that? But personally, for me, my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."
McIlroy doubled down on his commitment to the PGA Tour, saying he will spend the rest of his career with it.
"Over the last two years there's been so many rumors of guys — I think the one thing I've realized as well ... guys need to keep an open mind. I'm sure there's been players that are still playing on the PGA Tour that have talked to the guys from LIV and had offers and whatever. .... It's never even been a conversation for us.
"It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it and this is the state that our game's in. But I'm obviously here today and I'm playing this PGA Tour event next week and I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career."
McIlroy's agent said there was "zero truth" to the rumors and labeled them as "fake news."
The four-time major champ had been one of LIV Golf's more vocal critics since its inception, going so far as to say last year that, "If LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on Earth, I would retire." McIlroy's stance on the Saudi-funded tour appears to have softened somewhat in recent months, however.
"I wouldn't say I've lost the fight against LIV, but I've just accepted the fact that this is part of our sport now," McIlroy said in January.
He added then he was "maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV Golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realize that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."
He echoed many of those comments while speaking Tuesday with Golf Channel. His personal commitment to the PGA Tour, though, appears to remain firm.
veryGood! (882)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Philadelphia mass transit users face fare hikes of more than 20% and possible service cuts
- The results are in: Peanut the Squirrel did not have rabies, county official says
- What is prize money for NBA Cup in-season tournament? Players get boost in 2024
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul VIP fight package costs a whopping $2M. Here's who bought it.
- Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
- Disease could kill most of the ‘ohi‘a forests on Hawaii’s Big Island within 20 years
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Glen Powell responds to rumor that he could replace Tom Cruise in 'Mission: Impossible'
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Nevada trial set for ‘Dances with Wolves’ actor in newly-revived sex abuse case
- Disney Store's Black Friday Sale Just Started: Save an Extra 20% When You Shop Early
- Inspector general finds no fault in Park Police shooting of Virginia man in 2017
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- 'Full House' star Dave Coulier diagnosed with stage 3 cancer
- Man gets a life sentence in the shotgun death of a New Mexico police officer
- Special counsel Smith asks court to pause appeal seeking to revive Trump’s classified documents case
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Exclusive Yankee Candle Sale: 50% Off Holiday Candles for a Limited Time
Volunteer firefighter accused of setting brush fire on Long Island
Get well, Pop. The Spurs are in great hands until your return
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Taylor Swift drops Christmas merchandise collection, including for 'Tortured Poets' era
Does the NFL have a special teams bias when hiring head coaches? History indicates it does
Kathy Bates likes 'not having breasts' after her cancer battle: 'They were like 10 pounds'